My Blog List

My Blog List

Monday, July 29, 2013

Shower of Fresco in Miami: De la Cruz Museum Art Gallery.

Visiting De la Cruz Museum Art Gallery, to my delight I found a interesting display of contemporary art. In the main entrance of the place I could appreciate work by Starling Ruby, who is a German American artist. His work is a giant 18 foot monument called "Stalagmite". The work was made with materials like foam, urethane, wood and sprays of bright colors, like yellow and red (he also used black to highlight the colors).The theme is prison. Personally I didn't like the piece, for me it's like a giant person with a small head that makes the person look like their trapped in his/her own world. In addition, it only has one leg, using a heavy and big shoe, so it can not move.

"Stalagmite"

In the same hall of the ground floor, there was contemporary art by Mark Bradford, which is considered large-scale painting. He uses many materials found on the streets, everything containing papers. His work is a reflex of languages, personal, social and nature. In many of his works he uses maps, colors like yellow, blue and black. For me, it is  abstract, difficult to describe. Looks like sometimes images of people walking through windows or ruins but suddenly it all disappears.




In the third floor I got to appreciate Gabriel Orozco's art.  He is a Mexican artist with a wall of a collection of photos and paintings.



The game room is decorated with bamboo leaves and rubber balls hanging over the game table, giving it an idea of free movement. The "Ping Pond Table" is unique. The artist made it bigger because it is for four players, the curious part is that he changed the net for a pond in the center and added some lily pads. This adds the element of nature. In the video of my art class I didn't like the table because I didn't see the difference from a regular table, but when I saw it in the Museum I liked it a lot. The piece has been in exhibition in some important museums. Reina Sophia is one of them.






No comments:

Post a Comment